Director of Field Experiences & Director of MAT, Professor
Phone: 260.399.7700, ext. 8408
The gulf between the ideal of teaching and the real may be deep. Yet, when I recall the words of the eminent philosopher, Dr. John Dewey, the gulf becomes less daunting and even hopeful: “Education is not preparation for life. Education is life.”
- Doctor of Education – Teachers College, Columbia University
- Program Emphasis: Educational Administration
- Master of Education – Boston University
- Program Emphases: Educational Administration, Curriculum and Instruction
- Bachelor of Arts – Marshall University
- Majors: Secondary Social Studies, Elementary Education
My professional efforts explore the connection between policy and practice. Of particular interest are the ways in which macro education policies do and do not, can and cannot impact student learning and teacher effectiveness.
- Teaching: Grades 7-12, Social Studies; State of Ohio
- Teaching and Administration: State of New York
- Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development (ASCD)
- International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE)
- Phi Delta Kappa
- Principal Author and Editor (October 2010). Institutional Report, USF Department of Education. National Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education.
- Co-Author and Reviewer (September 2007). Report of the Quality Assurance Team on Latin American Schools, AdvancED Worldwide. Davy College; Cajamarca, Peru.
- Co-Author and Reviewer (March 2007). Quality Assurance Process, AdvancEd Worldwide (formerly Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, SACS). American Nicaraguan School; Managua, Nicaragua.
- Co-Author and Reviewer (March 2005). Quality Assurance Process, AdvancEd Worldwide. American School Foundation; Mexico City, D.F.
- Torlone, D. J. (November 2004). Review of the book Ethical Leadership, by R.J. Starratt [2004, San Francisco: Jossey-Bass]. In Education Review.
- Co-Author and Reviewer (April 2004). Quality Assurance Process, AdvancEd Worldwide. Colegio Bolivar; Cali, Colombia.
- Co-author – Institutional Report for the Re-accreditation Project, USF Department of Education
- Reviewer – History Standards for Secondary Education, Indiana Department of Education
- Consultant and Presenter – Six national forums, State of Indiana Center for Improving Teaching Quality (initiative sponsored by the Council of Chief State School Officers)
- Presenter – “Assessing Educators’ Dispositions During Professional Preparation,” Hawaii International Conference on Education
View Daniel Torlone’s curriculum vitae.