Below are a few of the questions we receive on a regular basis. If you don’t see the answer to your questions here, call us at 260.399.8066.

What kind of classes will I have to take and how many credits do I need to graduate from the University of Saint Francis?

The types of courses and number of credits you need vary according to your major. The minimum number of credit hours is 120, but more may be required depending on the major.

Do most candidates graduate in four years?

Most candidates do graduate in four years, but graduation times vary according to the academic majors. You may require additional time based on your schedule or obligations. For example, if you are directed to enroll in academic support classes or choose to enroll in two degree programs, it may take more than four years to graduate.

What is the average class size of USF Education courses?

Class sizes range from 8 to 25. Large classes are team-taught by two professors to ensure you receive the personalized attention you expect from USF.

How much time will I spend in the field?

Generally speaking, you will spend much of your time in the area schools. That time will vary depending on your major.  You will spend over 300 hours in the field before clinical internship. Several Elementary Education, Special Education, and Visual Art Education classes meet in schools where candidates will work directly with school-age children.

May I complete field experience hours in Catholic schools?

Yes, you will have the option of completing field experience hours in Catholic and other parochial schools. However, you will also be required to complete some of your hours in public schools where you can work with students from diverse backgrounds.

How can I pay for my education at USF?

  • If you meet all qualifications listed on the website, you can participate in the Teacher Loan Forgiveness Program.
  • The USF Office of Financial Aid will help you apply for a variety of scholarships and grants based on your eligibility. You can participate in on-campus employment opportunities or the Federal Work Study Program to defray tuition and other university expenses.
  • You can pursue substitute teaching positions with local schools, tutor or work in education-support services.

What are CASA tests and when should I take them?

Usually, the sooner you take the CASA Basic Skills tests after you graduate from high school, the better your chance of passing them. Education majors must take CASA before they are admitted into the Teacher Education program. Once you near completion of your program, you should take the appropriate CORE tests to qualify for your teaching license(s).

What clubs and activities are offered at USF?

USF offers numerous clubs and sports. As an Education major, you can be a member of Educators in Action, a service, activity and professional development club. Educators in Action holds a variety of events throughout the academic year.  You can also be a member of Kappa Delta Pi, a professional honor society for educators.  Other clubs and activities are available throughout campus, including the Social Justice League, BROTHERHOOD, Student Government Association (SGA), and our special needs theater group known as Jesters.

Will the university help me find a job after I graduate?

Yes, the Career Outreach Center will help you secure a teaching position upon graduation. You will also learn about job opportunities through contacts you make during field placements and relationships you build with professors.

Who should I contact if I have other questions?

If you have questions about any of the Department of Education programs, please contact Dr. Mary Riepenhoff, Department Chair, at mriepenhoff@sf.edu.